Monday, October 10, 2011

trunch

Words are disappearing from the Oxford Concise Dictionary every year, I read in an article in the International Herald Tribune today. Words like growlery.

(Growlery: place to growl in, private room, den.)

Why should this word be removed? I should like to know. It is surely a mark of civilisation that every home should have a growlery in it. Where are we going to do all our growling now? Growling deserves a dedicated space.

Of course, to offer a balanced view, the IHT article also said that new words are being birthed each day, words like woot and sexting. I like too much what their sounds suggest to look their meanings up.

Actually, anyone can have a hand at making new words.

Yesterday I was having a cooked breakfast in a charming cafe perched on the side of a hillock at four o'clock in the afternoon. The waiter had asked as I entered the place if I was after brunch or dessert. Brunch, I said. Later on, after we had placed our orders, I coined the word "trunch" - it was tea time, I had not yet had lunch, and my friend was eager to have his first meal of the day.

If only there was time to trunch every other day! Am I not reasonable?  It was a lovely lovely afternoon and afterwards the day just got better and better as the moon climbed higher and higher. With trunch to look forward to, the growlery would become a less needed space, and the word can be packed away in a box with tissue and mothballs together with breakfast, lunch, and supper.






Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home