Saturday, October 01, 2011

two cakes meet

Dear Black Forest Cake,

Thank you for treating me to lunch and telling me about your new pet fish.

I love hearing about pets. This year I have been the happy interlocutor of several tales about pets - a colleague's pet parrot (a sad story that deserves to be made into a short film); my brother YPL's friend's pet snake; a friend's ancient pet rabbits.

You say you spend a lot of time looking at the fish. You make sure they eat properly, you clean their tank, you buy new plants for them. Don't forget you promised me that you will let me watch you clean the tank one of these days.

"Do you scoop the fish out with a net and put them in a pail of fresh water?" I asked. You had done your research, you said. The tank is cleaned without the fish having to be moved. And you describe every stage of the process as if you were telling me the different philosophies of directing that exist.

We were meeting to celebrate the smooth delivery of our project, a children's picture book. It is the very first one you have authored, the second book in a series that still feels unreal to me even though the first one in the series celebrates its first birthday today.

I was also feeling grateful and celebratory because the two-week freeze of my fiction writing had finally begun to thaw two nights ago and yesterday morning the flow was back. So when you asked me how many projects I have going on, I could speak about all 3 of them without feeling the clutch of cold gnarled fingers around my heart.

I like what you said about the source of art. If the self is seen as the source, how small all art would be! I don't know about you, but it gives me great relief, to know that I am merely a transmitter, not the Generator.

Speaking of which, you might like "Generator 1st Floor" by Freelance Whales. It could be a good song to have on the next time you clean the tank.

Yours,
Orange Chiffon Cake





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home