Sunday, October 07, 2007

归于陌生

Chinese has finally re-surfaced as a language in my social life. It is the language that is used when I start and end each day in the workplace - something that was impossible in the previous work environment. Chinese is also the language we joke and banter in.

I can say truthfully that this return of my parents' first tongue, in a manner that is unassuming, glorious, and mischievious, has been one of the big surprises of my job change.

Will I go back to sounding as if I am in a no-man's land, writing in an English that is shadowed by Chinese? And the shadow is itself made up of broken music.

3 Comments:

Blogger Plain Forgiven said...

It must be lovely and refreshing to hear verbal music that's not English-based. My Paper is just about at the level of my chinese proficiency. :-)

But I just bought a Chinese-English bible so that I can read the jiantizi version alongside the NIV words, partly to improve my Chinese and learn the Chinese biblical terms for grace, justification, sanctification, judgment etc. Of course, I'm also armed with a Chinese dictionary in hand.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Plain Forgiven said...

Oh yeah, there's something else I wanted to say (ha ha ha!).

I remembered telling a former colleague from a Chinese newspaper that I wished I was much more proficient in my Chinese language so that I could read Chinese classical/contemporary works in Chinese, instead of relying on translated English versions.

His reply knocked me over: He told me that there's nothing to be regretful about and that he couldn't understand why I was so worried about that. He added that since English was my first language , I should therefore read books in the language that I am most comfortable with so that I can get more out of the works.

I'm still however dead set on improving my Chinese so that I can listen to Chinese sermons and understand them fully.

10:07 PM  
Blogger wheyface said...

加油!

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home