Sunday, July 22, 2007

human retriever envies canine reliever

Retrievers are supposed to be good swimmers. My golden retriever Sara runs away from the sea when we go to the beach. We tell ourselves she's afraid of the sound of the waves.

One time dog and owners were applauded by Japanese tourists standing up to their waists in the water. noisynotes had carried Sara into the sea until they were about 30 metres from land. Once he set her down into the water, she paddled straight for the shore and tore around the beach in a mad run to celebrate her escape.

Retrievers, as the name suggests, are supposed to be good at retrieving objects. If you look up the history of the breed, I think you'll find a narrative about their first fathers and mothers being adept at retrieving quarry.

Look at this face.


This is Sara - she who should have been named a golden reliever because she excels at relieving herself of her load. One of her owners, the one who is female like her and belongs to the retriever family, has the daily responsibility of going into the back yard to retrieve floor mats or chew bones or dog futons that have been dragged outside and duly relieved.

I like the spirit of relieving. But I can't embody it well enough. I relieved myself of a piano I owned for nearly 20 years last Thursday. That fed a delusion that lasted all of 3 days. On Friday I talked to ampulet Y about giving away books and CDs. On Saturday I daydreamed about holding a garage sale or peddling my books at a flea market. Today I opened two boxes of books to see what I could say good bye to.

Nothing.

Woof!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Plain Forgiven said...

Welcome to the club. My room is in a mess. I'm supposed to give away books, VCDs, DVDs and CDs, but I ended up downloading music to my iPod. And watching Cantopop youtube videos like crazy over the past few nights and mornings. And my boxes are all over the room. My books have invaded my bed space and I have waved the white flag already.

Look at that adorable face! :-) I miss Sara but don't really miss Max. Betrays my bias, hor? Ha ha ha!

Plainforgiven

4:28 AM  
Blogger wheyface said...

I decided not to renew my Kino privilege card this year. It's to protect myself from temptations (and excuses!) whenever they do their 20% off promotions...

Maybe you like Sara more cos she's mellow? Mr. Max is usually more popular at the botanic gardens though.

6:43 PM  
Blogger jrk902 said...

i love this snap of sara! it reflects her sweet nature so well. must agree with plainforgiven that i do prefer sara over max (sorry max, it's not you, it's me...call me fainthearted if you will? *)

9:23 AM  
Blogger jrk902 said...

ps : so sorry, that should be "mr max", not "max"! (oops, more evidence of bias!)

9:34 AM  
Blogger wheyface said...

hi jrk902,
sara thanks you kindly. mr. max is unperturbed by all naysayers and continues to be passionate.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought dogs were supposed to look like their masters...

Err...

Your dog not doing his job.

Dr Ah Beng

11:51 AM  
Blogger wheyface said...

ha ha, maybe it's the other dog i resemble? :p he's white, fluffy, and very very barky.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home