Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Record of the Nine Days

On October 7, the day after Boon's heart attack, I started a new journal. In its pages there is a record of what I learnt about Boon's condition over the nine days, most of it from the doctors, some of it my own observations. 


Day 1, Sat, Oct 6: 
[Collapsed at 3 plus in the afternoon and sent to SGH.
Was conscious at A&E.
Boon shouted "I can't breathe, I can't breathe" when oxygen mask momentarily removed in A&E. Doctors asked me to go out.]
[Consultant on duty Dr. S explained to Boon's mom and me that for this kind of attack] Usually immediate death upon arrest
Less than 10% chance of survival
Ecmo machine (life support) - 10 yrs ago did not exist
[Sent for CT scan at 5 something or 6. Result suggested that heart was too damaged by the attack; not possible to put in stent.]

Day 2, Sun, Oct 7:
Left main infarct (70 - 80% blockage of left ventricle) If blockage discovered before arrest, bypass would have resolved it. 
Not diabetic. No high cholesterol. No hypertension. 
Improvement
Nodded when Dr. S asked if he could hear. Organs ok.
Thrashed around in bed.
[Nurse said this was what the younger patients usually did. Because they want to get up, he said.]

Day 3, Mon, Oct 8:
Signs of pneumonia? Takes 24 - 48 hrs to manifest.
Echo scan of heart showed only 10 - 15% working.

Day 4, Tues, Oct 9:
Pneumonia. 
Kidneys started failing. Passed a lot of urine but toxins not expelled. Dialysis started. 
[Boon's mom and I] gowned up and went in. He teared [when we spoke to him].
Brain swelling due to ____? leading to damage
[Doctors and social worker talk to us about open heart surgery to implant a mechanical heart device the next day. Infection has to clear for operation to take place. And most of all, Boon has to regain consciousness and be able to respond to simple commands.]

Day 5, Wed, Oct 10:
Operation cancelled. 
Head moving from side to side. 
Face flinched when I said I was blinded by hate.

Day 6, Thurs, Oct 11:
Sedation turned off. Did not recover consciousness. Did not move all day. 
[Brought mobile phone to his bedside to] let his father speak to him. 

Day 7, Fri, Oct 12: 
Moved head from side to side when Father Stephen Yin prayed for him, holding his hand. [I did not see this. Was at the food court with C and D.] Moved shoulders and head towards me when I said C said he would do anything for me. 
Arrhythmia afternoon to night. Defibrillator used twice at least. 

Day 8, Sat, Oct 13:
Heartbeat rhythm 90s and BP [blood pressure] 80s. - Peaceful day. 
Dialysis machine changed. Catheter changed. 

Day 9, Sun, Oct 14:
Steady decline in heartbeat rhythm and BP from morning.
Official time of death 2004hr.

(to be continued)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home