Friday, June 28, 2013

From the Journal ~ October 14, 2012

October 14, 2012

Boon my darling,

Your blood pressure and heart rate descended from 6.30 a.m. to around 10 when Dr. S came out to the corridor to speak to your mother and me. I had woken up at 5.30, feeling an urgency to rush to the hospital, but also a strange calm. I prayed and flipped through the Bible and was led to Daniel 6. Daniel's miraculous survival in the den of lions. Darius' witness and proclamation of God. How my eyes opened! I recorded a reading of this chapter for you. And as S and I suggested, I personalised it for you. Oh Boon, I don't know why, but the  God sending angels to close the mouths of lions -- what is disease and physical infirmity to him?

On the way to SGH I looked up the lyrics of "What A Friend We have In Jesus" and I sang a bit of it as I walked, because I thought I could record it for you. But later on, when I was in your room, after I played the Daniel recording for you, I sang you the song. Did you hear me? It has long been one of my favourite faith songs. All my sins and griefs to bear.

"What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer."

--------

I am at A's flat in Buangkok. I hope you are not looking for me at the Batu flat. I should be back there tomorrow. You have left your body. I saw the shell today. When did you leave?

11.40 p.m.

---------

When I put the earphones on you this morning, I thought there was something different. And when I sang to you, I felt it again. I was staring at your face the whole time. It seemed to me that there was something different about you; you did not seem to be there.

I don't know why but I turned to look at the foot of your bed where there was nothing except for the machines. When I prayed for you and I held your hand, there was something different, though I could not say what it was exactly.

Did I turn to look at the foot of your bed because your soul had left your broken body, like a snake sheds its old skin, and was standing there, looking at it, trying to take this in, like me?

---------

We are our bodies -- and more. The body is just a shell. A precious and beautiful shell individually made for each one of us so that no two bodies are ever the same.

Why did your shell give up?

(to be continued)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home